- Event name: Defiance
- Date: Saturday 14th July 2018
- Start time: c06.00*
- Start location: Falmouth
- Finish location: Salisbury
- Event Type: Solo Endurance Ride on open roads, including riding at night following the same designated route as Britannia and Conqueror. The ride is c220.70 miles long and riders are required to complete the route within 19 hours including any stationary time (Aid Stations, mechanicals etc). Serious consideration should be given to a ride strategy and have a plan B due to a mechanical, fatigue, the weather conditions or other factors. Riders will pass through the cities, towns and villages of Truro, Fraddon, Bodmin, Minions, Launceston and Okehampton before passing Dartmoor and descending into the cathedral city of Exeter, Honiton, Axminster - passing along a road renamed The Trafalgar Way in 2005, then onwards to Bridport cycling along the Jurassic Coast, Dorchester and Blandford Forum before finishing in the cathedral city of Salisbury. The ride finishes at Bishop Wordsworth School, Salisbury.
- Age requirement: Age 18-68 on or before 14th July 2018
- Minimum average speed requirement: 15 - 17.5 mph over the entire distance. This is on the basis of c2h15mins - 4h30mins of stoppages for the entire route.
- Suggested minimum pre event training requirement: 200 miles in a single ride with hill climbing.
- Event registration: Falmouth*. Rider information packs will be available for collection Friday 13th July 2018. There will be ONE rider briefing for Defiance & Colossus riders on Friday 13th July 2018, in Falmouth at 19.15*
- Event overview: At just over 220 miles long, starting at Pendennis Castle, Falmouth the route broadly follows the route of 1805.
- Lighting Requirement: Appropriate front and rear lighting with backup power for the duration of the ride. Lighting is an absolute requirement during the hours of dusk/darkness and in poor visibility. Riders without the correct lighting for the ride/weather conditions will not be allowed to ride or will be removed from the event.
* exact details will be notified to riders no later than 3 weeks before the event
- £120.00 GBP Entry fee
- No entries will be taken on the day
- £ 48.00 GBP Entry fee***
- £216.00 GBP Minimum Fundraise
- No entries will be taken on the day
** Our fundraise+ride option is only available for associated fundraising beneficiaries already set up with us. If you would like to encourage more people to raise funds for your chosen organisation contact us, otherwise you will need to enter via the just ride entry button and raise fund separately. For more information about organisations raising money via Ride the Trafalgar Way Sportive see our fundraising beneficiaries page.
*** For our discounted entry fee you can raise monies for an organisation already associated with us, please enter via our fundraise+ride entry screen. By entering through the fundraise+ride option you commit to pay the entry fee and fundraise the minimum amount per event.
Note: By selecting fundraise+ride you agree that your contacts details will be passed onto your selected fundraising organisation who will make contact with you direct - this will be mandatory as part of the fundraise+ride entry process.
What is included:
- Pre ride briefing on Friday 13th July in Falmouth at 19:15*
- A hot meal will be available at c90 miles and c180 miles*
- Mechanical support
- Medical support
- Use of all Aid Stations on the routes of Britannia and Conqueror. The locations of the Aid Stations will be advised in the pre ride information
- Sweep vehicle for those who can’t complete the route. Riders will be taken to the next rendezvous location
- Electronic tracking to allow friends and family to track your progress
- Water proof maps for each section - in case any route signage is missed or removed
- Finishers medal
- Souvenir musette
- Souvenir cycling cap
- Post ride food in Salisbury*
- VAT & 6.5% Registration system charge
- Bag transfer to Exeter and Salisbury. Please note high value good should not be packed in your transfer bag.
- GPS files of the route, in various formats, will be available to download the week before the event.
- Should you plan to stay in Falmouth the night before consider Penryn University campus or Falmouth Tourist Information here
* Exact details will be confirmed no later than 3 weeks from the event date and contained within pre ride information.