What was your reason for wanting to ride the Trafalgar Way?
I’d always wanted to push myself on a long distance ride around the 500km but had been daunted by the prospect of doing it unsupported. The Trafalgar Way offered me the opportunity to push myself but with the knowledge I was being looked after and was in good hands.
How would you sum up your ride of the Trafalgar Way to a friend?
Long, Hot, Tough and Epic!
What was your most memorable part of the ride?
Probably the stretch along the Dorset Coast near the Hardy monument. Not a part of the country I’d ridden in before but it made me want to go back.
What are your top 3 tips for anyone thinking of riding the Trafalgar Way?
- Get a bike fit, if you’re going to be spending close to 20hrs on the bike you need to be sure it fits you and is comfortable.
- Make sure you’ve figured out your lighting and power requirements, it’s very dark on country lanes in the dead of night.
- Just do it! It’s a great experience and the team give you lots of support along the way.
What are your top bits of equipment or kit you wouldn’t want to ride the Trafalgar Way without?
- My Dynamo hub – I was grateful for constant power for my Garmin and a decent light through the night
- Continental GP 4000s Tyres - Comfortable, quick and durable they’re my go to tyre.
- Brooks Cambium Saddle – So comfortable
What bike (make and model) and chainset / cassette set up did you ride the Trafalgar Way with (if available)?
I rode the Trafalgar way on my Custom Titanium bike which I designed and then got built up in a factory in China. I paired it with an Ultegra Hydraulic groupset running a compact chainset and an 11-32 cassette.